I have a bench warrant. What should I do?

A bench warrant is a warrant issued for a Defendant’s arrest because he or she failed to appear for a mandatory Court hearing.


If you have a bench warrant, there are two ways that you can try to dispose of it. One option is to simply turn yourself into the authorities, which is usually done by presenting yourself at the county jail and having a correctional officer serve the warrant on you. Once the warrant is served, you will be taken into custody to await a hearing before a Court Commissioner. The Commissioner will decide whether to release you on your own personal recognizance or whether to require you to pay security on a bond to be released.


The other option is to file a motion asking a Judge to recall or quash the bench warrant and set a new Court date. If you hire an attorney to file such a motion, there is a good chance that it will be granted. In particular, in traffic and misdemeanor cases, typically, judges will grant an attorney’s motion to recall or quash a bench warrant. The very fact that you have hired an attorney shows that you are committed to resolving the case. LTW Legal has represented clients who have missed court multiple times in traffic cases and still has had its motions to recall or quash their bench warrants granted.


If you have a legal issue concerning a bench warrant, contact Lauderdale, Thompson and Warby, LLP as soon as possible.


Contact Us Now For A Free Consultation - 301-880-9140

Offices in Prince George's, Anne Arundel & Charles Counties

9701 Apollo Dr. • Suite 100 • Largo, MD 20774

1125 West Street • Suite 319 • Annapolis, MD 21401

3261 Old Washington Road • Suite 2020 • Waldorf, MD 20602

6710 Oxon Hill Road • Oxon Hill, MD 20745


The information on this website is not intended as specific legal advice, but rather is of a general informational nature. Each case is different always consult with a LTW Lawyer for specific legal advice. No specific results implied. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.